Monday, April 7, 2008

Interview with Adam Rubin- NY Daily News Mets Blog Writer

(by Brett Kahn)

I recently got a chance to chat with Mets Daily News blog writer Adam Rubin about various topics. Rubin's blog is entitled "Surfing the Mets" and has been a fixture in the NY Daily News since 2006.

Q: Have you always been a Mets fan and if so, how has that affected your writing?
A:
I was born in the Bronx, but moved to Long Island in the third grade. I drifted more from a Yankees fan to a Mets fan over the years, but in high school I was pleased when either team was doing well. My favorite player was Don Mattingly. (Sorry, Willie. I did have a glove with your name.) As a journalist, you have to stay impartial, though it's certainly more pleasant when the team is doing well as compared with the lean years under Art Howe. You do tend to privately root for players who have treated you well. But they tend to get dispersed all over the place because of trades and free agency. Just this winter Philip Humber and Kevin Mulvey, with whom I had good relationships, were traded to the Twins. You can be impartial and still hope they have solid careers.

Q: I know that you attended the Wharton School of Business at Penn. What effect did that have on you becoming a blog writer?
A:
I can't say Penn had any impact on the blog, but it certainly is the chief reason I'm a journalist. I attended the Wharton School of Business, but got hooked by newspapers when I joined my college paper, The Daily Pennsylvanian, as a freshman. When I started getting internships in the field, that's when that career path really started taking shape. I graduated high school in '91, which was really a couple of years prior to e-mail being introduced to college students, so you can imagine blogging wasn't a big part of my college experience.

Q: Being able to cover the team all the time must allow you to see things that most people can't. Being that as it may, what do you think of the team so far this season?
A:
It's still early, but at 2-3, the warts are showing. They have the oldest 40-man roster in baseball, so it's no wonder they're already dealing with injuries (Moises Alou, Pedro Martinez, Orlando Hernandez, etc.) I'm comfortable labeling them the NL East favorite, but they're by no means a lock for the postseason.

For more information on Rubin's blog, visit the NY Daily News site at...

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/mets/


No comments: